Is it time to review your membership model?
If your association’s membership model is out of date and holding you back or if your association is struggling to deliver value and stay relevant, then it’s time to cast an experienced, objective and critical eye over your membership model and plan an overhaul, so that it provides a solid foundation to take your association forward.
Reviewing your membership model
Your membership model impacts nearly everything your association does.
It encompasses the types of memberships you offer and to whom, what your membership entitlements and service offerings are and how you package, price and deliver them to members and non-members. It is often embedded in your constitution and central to the operation of your membership management platform and other systems and to your organisations’ overall ways of working.
If things just aren’t working at your association, then reviewing your membership model will help you get right to the heart of the matter and create a new foundation for moving forward.
Reviewing your membership model is not a trivial task – but the rewards can be well worth the effort.
Our approach to conducting a membership model review
FineHaus has a holistic, robust and proven methodology for reviewing your membership model, working collaboratively with your leadership team.
To get started, we need to obtain a thorough understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the your current membership model and offering from a variety of perspectives.
Step 1: Internal Research
The first step is to conduct internal research. Typically, this step involves:
- Review of your membership structure and other relevant documentation – including constitution, policy, pricing, types, benefits, service offerings and approach to service delivery, strategic plan, financials, constitution, entitlements etc
- Membership analysis to develop a detailed profile of your membership
- Review of your current events program and other membership offerings
- Interviews with key staff, Board Directors and other key internal stakeholders.
- Review of your member satisfaction research results to gain insights on members’ perceptions of value etc. If you haven’t conducted this type of research recently, we can conduct this for you as part of this process.
Step 2: External Research
We then conduct external research into membership models offered by complementary and competitive membership associations to understand how your model compares and to identify opportunities for improvement.
Step 3: Recommended membership model
Informed by this research process and working in close collaboration with your team, FineHaus will then develop a recommended membership model for your association moving forward.
Typically this includes:
- Development of up to three membership models for consideration, including pricing and membership entitlements.
- Financial modelling of best case/worst case scenarios for each model and forecasting of potential impact on membership numbers and revenue
- Documentation of potential models and associated recommendations for improving services and delivery
- Consultation on potential models to develop a recommened model.
- Presentation of final recommendations to the Board.
Once your new membership model is approved, we can work with you to develop a robust implementation plan and provide flexible, experienced resources to help ensure successful delivery.
Our robust, independent and effective approach, backed by our proven experience in this area is the reason why our clients choose us for this important work.
And we’d love to work with you!